Friday, January 22, 2010

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Burnt dreams

I like to read Dr. Ayesha Siddiqa. Whenever, she writes, I find time to read her. She is eloquent, comprehensible and does not hide behind thin veil of something else. She says what she has to say or what she feels. I came to know her when she published her controversial book "Military Inc." Since then I have been following her writings. I wish that she may publish her columns someday so that her fans can enjoy reading without waiting. I also wish that she may sometime in future decide to write blog. Here is her latest column:

"the path for normative feudalism was prepared intellectually as well. A large portion of literature, especially in Urdu, which was read in the largest province, did not challenge the feudal authoritarianism particularly exercised by the new feudals, such as the military in power. In fact, numerous intellectuals became conduits for military regimes trading their souls for land, money or cushy positions.
Some of them even manipulated religion and converted the discourse to the advantage of authoritarian military rulers. So, most tragically youngsters at that time like me saw the edifice of neo-feudalism being built through encouraging intellectual dishonesty. The Zia years were among the darkest in our national history. Personally I saw Lahore, a city I was born and grew up in, and which was known for its intellectual shine, capitulate to dictatorial rule. Things would never be the same again."

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Burnt dreams

Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment